Issue of Library card
All users are equipped with a personal membership card of the Library, which is valid for all the libraries of the UOWM, and it is issued by the Library of the Department to which they belong. The card is issued free of charge for the members of the University (internal members). The categories mentioned below can obtain a membership card of the Department Library by producing the appropriate description/title document (booklet/education certificate) and their ID card:
- Faculty members of the UOWM,
- Doctoral candidates of the UOWM,
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students of the UOWM,
- Members of Specialized and Laboratory Teaching Staff (Sector 1), professors in accordance with Presidential decree 407, specialized scientific partners of the UOWM, visiting scientists of the UOWM and
- Administrators and members of Special Technical Laboratory Staff and of Specialized and Laboratory Teaching Staff (Sector 2) of the UOWM.
Any members outside UOWM (external members) wishing to issue a Library card must produce the ID card of the person concerned or of the representative (in the case of a collective body) and pay an annual fee, the amount of which is determined according to the description/title of the user:
- Natural persons for reasons of personal research (annual fee: 30 euros),
- Collective bodies Organizations Academic Libraries (annual fee: 80 euros).
Library card validity
The membership card is strictly personal and valid for all the Libraries of the University of Western Macedonia. The renewal of the card takes place at the beginning of every academic year and it is free of charge for the internal members, who must produce the appropriate description/title document (the card can be renewed by the Library that issued the card in question).
External members must pay an annual fee in order to renew their card.
Loss of the card must be reported immediately at the Library that issued the card in question, and the user is charged with the amount of 5 euros. Beyond the first card replacement, the user is charged with the amount of 20 euros for any following replacement.
Book loan rules
The users must apply the Regulation of the Library, comply with the staffs recommendations and respect the premises of the Library. Book loan rights according to the users categories include the following:
- Undergraduate students, administrators, members of Special Technical Laboratory Staff and of Specialized and Laboratory Teaching Staff (Sector 2) may borrow up to 3 books for 15 days.
- Professors in accordance with Presidential decree 407, specialized scientific partners of the UOWM, doctoral candidates and postgraduate students of the UOWM may borrow up to 10 books for 30 days.
- Faculty members and members of Specialized and Laboratory Teaching Staff (Sector 1) may borrow up to 15 books for 30 days.
- Natural persons may borrow up to 3 books for 15 days.
- Institutions or Services may borrow up to 3 books for 15 days.
The books borrowed by users must be returned to the Library that lent them by the date and hour that has been fixed at the moment of the loan or in compliance with the notice of revocation of book loan.
- Material renewal: Loan of material that has already been lent to other users can be renewed for them, unless the material has been requested by other users. Users can renew their books 1 to 3 times, depending on users description/title.
- Material revocation: The Library reserves the right to request a book back before the end of the return date, if necessary.
- Material reservation: Users can reserve a book that has been already lent. By the return of the book in question, the user concerned shall be notified by telephone in order to receive their book. If the user concerned does not come to the Library within 3 days, the reservation is annulled.
- Fines: The users who have borrowed material from the Library must return it within the time limits specified by the automated program in use. For every book that is not returned in time, the borrower is obliged to pay a fine (0.30 euros/day for the books of the Main Collection and 0.30 euros/hour for the books of the Closed Collection/ Educational books). If there is a fine pending for a user, they cannot borrow books from any Library of the UOWM until the fine has been payed.
- Material replacement: If, for any reason, a user is not able to return the material they borrowed, they are obliged to pay its cost or replace it. The cost includes the price of the material plus 5% for the processing cost. The borrowed material must be inspected when returned to the Library. If further damage is detected, the borrower is obliged to restore or replace the material, in accordance with the previous paragraph.
Annulation of Membership cards Certificates
Doctoral candidates and students (undergraduate or postgraduate) who have completed their PhD or their studies respectively, lose the right to use the membership card for the Library of the Department of Informatics & Telecommunications. Before their graduation, they must produce a written certificate to the Secretary of the Department, stating that they do not have any obligation to the Libraries of the UOWM (borrowed material, fines, etc.). After they have produced this certificate, the Library annuls the membership card and deletes the user in question from the automated system.
Attempt to theft or theft of material
Should an attempt to theft or theft of material be established by a member or user of the Library, membership of the person concerned shall be immediately suspended and the issue shall be notified to the Library Commission and the members Department. If the member or user does not belong to the UOWM, the procedure provided in the relevant regulation shall be followed.
The book material collection of the Department of Informatics & Telecommunications of the UOWM can be distinguished into three categories as to the borrowing possibility:
- Full loan collection contains material that users may borrow for more than 15 days.
- Limited loan collection contains material that users may borrow for a limited time.
- Non-loanable material collection contains material that users may only use in the premises of the Library, e.g. journals, reference books, encyclopedias, dictionaries, rare material, etc.